Tuesday, November 8, 2016

At Your Own Risk

I am not a real blogger. Or a real writer. I mostly just write to process --> thoughts, feelings, experiences, etc. This is why I only share when I deem absolutely necessary. Most of my ramblings stay tucked comfortably away in my journal.They like it there. It is a safe space with flowers, delicious food with Gilmore Girls playing on repeat....
 But this day---like the rest of humanity---I felt compelled to share. 

Today we elect our nation's next president. I realize this decision holds a lot of weight. There's a lot at stake. And no, I am not going to reveal who in particular I chose...because...well, it's my right and none of your business. 

I have seen a variety of posts on social media. Seemingly everyone's opinion is laid bare before the judicial courts of [insert social media platform here]. Some quote scripture. Some berate their opposing party. Some claim hopelessness and doubt about the future of our nation. 

This afternoon I finally had a chance to sit down and consider reality. Sometimes I don't get the opportunity to really think until Little Miss Rosebud goes down for her afternoon nap. (We're usually too preoccupied with dress up parties and tupperware towers to do otherwise---a distraction I totally appreciated on a day like today). I thumbed through my Bible and landed on Isaiah 26. Initially because I've been a tad bit fearful of today's outcome. I mean, what does the future hold for our kiddos? How bad is it really going to be? The questions are an endless cycle of insanity!

BUT

 Today's verses popped out of the page. 

The path of the righteous is level; you make level the way of the righteous. In the path of your judgments, O Lord, we wait for you; your name and your remembrance are the desire of our soul. My soul yearns for you in the night; my spirit within me earnestly seeks you...

For when your judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.If favor is shown to the wicked, he does not learn righteousness; in the land of uprightness, he deals corruptly and does not see the majesty of the Lord.
(vs. 7-10)

Here's what I know: 
Sadly, our nation is no longer "under God". The name of God is mocked. Daily(yet subtly) our nation threatens to squelch any mention or worship of the One to whom we owe our lives. God is not honored. He is a punchline; a cruel "man upstairs" who seems to ruin everything. Lives that He created are being "terminated" because they aren't considered worthy of even a breath outside the womb. Marriage is redefined. "Life" is whatever you want it to be. 

And here's something else:
God is still GOD. He cannot be squandered, and He is limitless (Psalm 113:4-6). We cannot fathom His plan. But life--this one on earth and  in eternity, for that matter--is not about "me" or "we". He is--and forever shall be--the sole focus, no matter what, whatever/whomever tries to push Him out. And the Gospel--God's amazing story of redemption for the purpose of HIS glory--must advance. Sometimes the only way that can happen is through utter destruction and pain. The point today is not that we elect our person into office(even though you SHOULD NOT neglect your right to do so), but that God be honored and HIS message moves forward.

So today, instead of praying for mercy, or for things to lean my way, I will pray for that. However it needs to happen, our nation must see God, and "learn righteousness". Yes, there are moments when the fear feels unbearable, but today with a peaceful heart, I am trusting God's hand. I am claiming that He will accomplish His divine plan with our nation, and that in the end He will be honored.

May we all stand faithful in light of His promise:

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Even so, come. Lord Jesus, come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment